Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How to bust your remodeling budget unexpectedly

When my daughter graduated from middle school, our gift to her was to update her room.  To replace the sky blue ceiling with the cloud cut-outs and the bright green walls.  The room was decorated that way when we purchased our home, and she so excitedly allowed the room to stay as it was.  Until heading into high school, when we all realized she needed something a bit more mature.  Sounds easy, right?  Not really.  It took two years to chose the perfect shade of gray to compliment the perfect shade of pink.  And then it took time to coordinate the replacing of all of the switches and outlets (that had been painted bright green!).  The new painted covers finally were installed this January, and the poor windows are still waiting for curtains.  Overall, we were fortunate, the biggest obstacle we have run into is a teenagers inability to make up her mind on window treatments and lamp shades.

At least in the bedroom.  I made the decision to strip the wallpaper in my daughter's bathroom, because the custom made coordinating print shower curtain was falling apart, and paint it the same gray as the bedroom.  Seemed like a great idea, until the painter dropped the towel bar on the tile floor, cracking 3 tiles.  No replacements anywhere.  I am now looking at new flooring, which has exposed me to hundreds of bathroom pictures that I just ohhh and ahhh over.  I have an undeniable urge to replace the vanity top, frame the mirror, update the lighting and plumbing fixtures, and paint the vanity.  Thanks to Pinterest, I think I can pull it off with a reasonable budget.  And I have plenty of time to look for decor ideas.  My daughter has kindly asked me to wait until she leaves for college to redo the bathroom.

How to bust your remodeling budget unexpectedly...http://ow.ly/tNejs

No comments:

Post a Comment